The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

LSD lockup % for 987.2 CS

Use this forum to discuss Autocross Events future, past, and present

Moderator: David Leong

Rocky J

LSD lockup % for 987.2 CS

Post by Rocky J » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am

What’s the best LSD lockup percentage for a 987.2 Cayman S for autocross?

superhighperf

Re: LSD lockup % for 987.2 CS

Post by superhighperf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:43 pm

Not a lot of guys here run aftermarket lsd diff. this would probably be a better question on the local SCCA form or give some of our sponsors a call. they are all ways happy to help and have plenty of racing experience.
http://pca-ggr.org/sponsors/

i am happy with the Quaife lsd i have in my 06 CS, white #5160 in ax07. it is a gear (Torsen) type with a lifetime warranty.
https://shop.quaife.co.uk/porsche-cayma ... fferential

i have never tried a clutch type and the tuning aspect is appealing but it is a wear item that needs upkeep.

let us know what you decide and how you like the results.

Rocky J

Post by Rocky J » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at probably all the options. I wish Quaife made a unit for PDK. I don't hear many real world feedback on the Wavetrac unit. For this reason, it's between the OS Giken and Guard's. Leaning more towards Guard's...

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the party here but I'd go with the guard torsen on a street cayman. It's a safe choice that will make the car better than it is now and doesn't require extra maintenance. The wavetrac looks like a gimmick to try to capitalize on the 'undecided buyer'. I'd wait to get picky about the percentage lockup until you have some strong opinions of your own about how you want the car to behave.

Rocky J

Post by Rocky J » Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 pm

unfortunately Guard doesn't make gear type ATB for the PDK transmission. On my previous BMW auto-x car I had to do the diff twice to get to my preferred diff setup. I'm trying not to do that with the Cayman as everything for this car has some 150% Porsche tax on it. I know how I'd like for the car to behave, I just don't have much experience with the chassis to get it there as close as possible so I'd appreciate you guys tips! :)