AX 3 - Videos

Use this forum to discuss Autocross Events future, past, and present

Moderator: David Leong

Post Reply
User avatar
superhighperf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 pm

AX 3 - Videos

Post by superhighperf » Mon May 28, 2018 4:38 pm

another fun weekend of autox. turned out to be a double header with LPR on Saturday and the late date change for GGR.
the course was fast. its amazing how much fun we can have at 55MPH. don't forget to remove any and all speedometer data from these videos.

https://youtu.be/xY258mXuld8
my fastest of the day with a 51.205 and a miss shift into 5th :(

LPR
https://youtu.be/3w_zogrpugU
40.050

next week Lotus

tframhein
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by tframhein » Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks to PDK, the 2-3 (and 3-2-1) shift was easy for me :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-E6KQkZudo

I think I prefer a course with more speed/direction changes, though high speeds are nice too!

hpatelno3
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 am

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by hpatelno3 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi Derek,

Thanks for starting the thread. You were way faster than me at Marina in your 981S. Let's look for a stock muffler, so we can compete in the same class :P.

Here is a link to the video of my last run, which is was also my fastest - https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvpsCl-IH8Bth5pdXEGoCKBsiXIlmg.

User avatar
superhighperf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by superhighperf » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 am

i need more practice and confidence in the fast stuff, i didn't have anything close to you guys.
looks like a Teddy got second fast street tire time and Himanshu should have got second fast PAX time, that cone was down before you got to it.

great job guys, especially since both of you were running around doing double duty as instructors.

BTW Himanshu i fixed your video with the broken spedo and uploaded it. let me know if you want me to take it down. videopad video editor is free for home use. ;)

https://youtu.be/_766hyeJCF0

tframhein
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by tframhein » Tue May 29, 2018 9:17 am

It's also interesting to see the different approaches to the first slalom. I always prefer a wide entry to a corner leading to a straight when I can have it, so I entered on the right every time. Himanshu beat me to the apex but I carried more speed through to the first cone in the second slalom.

Side note: Looking at the video, I was too wide on entry to that first left-hander most of the time. Need to be better.

syeo86
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by syeo86 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am

Hi Everyone,

The course was a really fun change up! I had a blast. I wish my second gear was longer. Towards the end of the day, I had to back off the throttle going into the Chicago box, I was about the hit the rev limiter. Also through 2/3 of the slalom following the box, I was bouncing hard on the limiter. Derek suggested short shifting in to third coming out of the box, which I was planning to try but on my 2nd afternoon run I had a nice fat slide. I decided to call it a day, and save my tires for the next event.

Here is the fastest run 51.239: https://youtu.be/wYiSrRTdLbE
Here is my nasty slide 51.825 (no cones!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXfD-LNfWw

Thanks for starting this thread, I do enjoy watching all the fast guys. Always looking to see how you guys are getting those extra tenths! If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to point out where I can improve.

tframhein
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by tframhein » Wed May 30, 2018 9:18 am

syeo86 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am
Here is the fastest run 51.239: https://youtu.be/wYiSrRTdLbE
Here is my nasty slide 51.825 (no cones!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXfD-LNfWw

Thanks for starting this thread, I do enjoy watching all the fast guys. Always looking to see how you guys are getting those extra tenths! If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to point out where I can improve.
Great recovery, quick hands :D.
This might have been related to the gearing issue you mentioned, but I noticed your steering inputs were not as smooth through the box as they were everywhere else. A slightly wider line might have enabled you to avoid those quick inputs, stay on maintenance throttle, and carry more speed through.
It felt like more of a continuation of the slalom this way, albeit with a very narrow window, making it a bit of a gamble. I'd choose an entry speed and either have enough space... Or not...

syeo86
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by syeo86 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:49 am

tframhein wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:18 am
syeo86 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am
Here is the fastest run 51.239: https://youtu.be/wYiSrRTdLbE
Here is my nasty slide 51.825 (no cones!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXfD-LNfWw

Thanks for starting this thread, I do enjoy watching all the fast guys. Always looking to see how you guys are getting those extra tenths! If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to point out where I can improve.
Great recovery, quick hands :D.
This might have been related to the gearing issue you mentioned, but I noticed your steering inputs were not as smooth through the box as they were everywhere else. A slightly wider line might have enabled you to avoid those quick inputs, stay on maintenance throttle, and carry more speed through.
It felt like more of a continuation of the slalom this way, albeit with a very narrow window, making it a bit of a gamble. I'd choose an entry speed and either have enough space... Or not...
Agreed, I jerked the wheel and I can't remember why. Actually, I think missed the apex on the corner before the box and wanted to track across but decided I wouldn't make it over? I was desperately getting greedy everywhere, which is how I ended up sliding. Too much speed and too much braking while trying to turn. I just see everyone's fast times and chase after the carrot. (which is the best part of autox!)

Thanks for the feedback!

User avatar
superhighperf
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by superhighperf » Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 am

The course was a really fun change up! I had a blast. I wish my second gear was longer. Towards the end of the day, I had to back off the throttle going into the Chicago box, I was about the hit the rev limiter. Also through 2/3 of the slalom following the box, I was bouncing hard on the limiter. Derek suggested short shifting in to third coming out of the box, which I was planning to try but on my 2nd afternoon run I had a nice fat slide. I decided to call it a day, and save my tires for the next event.
that was a great recovery.

i think we were both close to the limits of what we could get out of second gear. i was on the limiter before the big box and tried shifting into third before it once and didn't get a better time. now that i have seen these videos and the speeds going through the box, i think i should have stuck with it. even a slight lift through the slalom in second gear scrubbed off a lot of speed and may have caused too much weight transfer making the car feel loose when it didn't have to be. other than that, shifting into first at the U turn at the back may have gotten us a tenth or 2?

did you try going to the right on the first cone? Himanshu did in his second video and ended up getting loose in the next U turn. i never tried it.

User avatar
WhuGmiT
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by WhuGmiT » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Excellent recovery Shannon!

I spun in the exact same place when I tried carry 3rd gear all the way through the finish, just did not have the grip necessary at that speed. I am geared quite a bit shorter than most of you guys so I was in 3rd gear for most of the back stretch, to 2nd for the east turn around, 3rd coming back, then at the last slalom element before the finishing shoot - hard brake, back to 2nd so I could accelerate through the finishing shoot (necessary to keep rear end from coming around - gotta love tail draggers!).

I think that was the fastest overall AX course I had ever been on. My average speed matched my time.

Great seeing you all last weekend.

Cheers,
-WhuGmiT
'68 912 Coupe, AX12

syeo86
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by syeo86 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 pm

superhighperf wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 am
did you try going to the right on the first cone? Himanshu did in his second video and ended up getting loose in the next U turn. i never tried it.
I never tried right. That was the direction I planned on taking until I got on course. After that, my brain got stuck on going left. I hope we get a fast course to try 3rd gear in the future! :P
WhuGmiT wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm
Excellent recovery Shannon!

I spun in the exact same place when I tried carry 3rd gear all the way through the finish, just did not have the grip necessary at that speed. I am geared quite a bit shorter than most of you guys so I was in 3rd gear for most of the back stretch, to 2nd for the east turn around, 3rd coming back, then at the last slalom element before the finishing shoot - hard brake, back to 2nd so I could accelerate through the finishing shoot (necessary to keep rear end from coming around - gotta love tail draggers!).

I think that was the fastest overall AX course I had ever been on. My average speed matched my time.

Great seeing you all last weekend.

Cheers,
-WhuGmiT
Thanks Joe! You looked good out there, and when I saw the results I was shocked. Awesome driving man!

hpatelno3
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 am

Re: AX 3 - Videos

Post by hpatelno3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:01 pm

syeo86 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am
Hi Everyone,

The course was a really fun change up! I had a blast. I wish my second gear was longer. Towards the end of the day, I had to back off the throttle going into the Chicago box, I was about the hit the rev limiter. Also through 2/3 of the slalom following the box, I was bouncing hard on the limiter. Derek suggested short shifting in to third coming out of the box, which I was planning to try but on my 2nd afternoon run I had a nice fat slide. I decided to call it a day, and save my tires for the next event.

Here is the fastest run 51.239: https://youtu.be/wYiSrRTdLbE
Here is my nasty slide 51.825 (no cones!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXfD-LNfWw

Thanks for starting this thread, I do enjoy watching all the fast guys. Always looking to see how you guys are getting those extra tenths! If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to point out where I can improve.
Hey Shannon, I just saw your post. That was a marvelous recovery at the end - perfectly executed! They need to take away a second from that run for that drift.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest