The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

One Little Cone

Use this forum to discuss Autocross Events future, past, and present

Moderator: David Leong

75elfer

One Little Cone

Post by 75elfer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm

These innocent looking, pliable things we dodge at great speed during an autocross can pack quite a punch. During our event on Saturday, and the last autocross of the season, I hit a cone with the right front tire of my 996 Turbo. Although probably a one-in-a-thousand occurrence, the cone must have wedged itself into the inner wheel housing, punched a hole through the forward fender liner, and tore off the lower radiator hose inlet fitting from the radiator body. Needless to say, this caused a rather spectacular visual effect as a large amount of coolant and steam poured out of the wheel housing area. It also completely destroyed the radiator. To all those that were affected by my spilled coolant on the track, my sincere apologies, and thanks to those that were stuck with cleaning the track.

This incident does however highlight what appears to be a vulnerable area of the wide body 996 and 997 cars, as my research into the issue over the weekend would indicate. Anyone familiar with a good solution for this issue? I considered replacing the radiators with welded aluminum units offered by some aftermarket vendors, but it seems that even if the radiator is less prone to damage, the cone, or some other object, could still rip the hose from the inlet or puncture it. Anyone aware of a pre-fabricated shield that would reinforce the fender liner, before I undertake the effort to design and fabricate one myself?

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tony

Argote

Re: One Little Cone

Post by Argote » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your radiator. :(

Not sure if there are prefab options, but some wire mesh might work pretty well for objects that are not thin and still be relatively lightweight.