The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

camera mount for 996?

Use this forum to ask questions or discuss GGR issues not covered in the competition forums

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

kpl

camera mount for 996?

Post by kpl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:10 am

In my prior car I had a rollbar and therefore it was easy to mount a camera. It really made autocrossing that much more fun to be able to review and share the video after events. In my new to me 996 I'd like to mount a camera, but will not be installing a rollbar anytime soon and therefore was looking to see what others have done.
Thanks,

itacud

Re: camera mount for 996?

Post by itacud » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 pm

I've used the 6" vacuum suction cup from this company, with a small tripod ballhead, on my front window. The 6" cup holds with 200lbs of force.
http://www.vacuummounts.com/prodpics.php

I'm using a harness bar from Sparco now, for a mounting point that provides a view of the steering wheel, and maybe someday a harness, if the PCA rules are re-ammended. =):
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/wm.p ... ssbar2.jpg
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/spar ... -7507.html
--

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Not sure suction cups are allowed. They haven't been in the past, and are not a good idea, regardless.
David Leong

kpl

Post by kpl » Wed May 07, 2008 10:18 am

Since I dont intend to track the car I'd run a harnes bar, as I'd really like to be able to run a harness, plus it would serve as a mount for the camera, but the stock seats are not compatible with a harness.

I met a guy running a well prepped Evo at a recent GGLC autocross and he was using this mount from IO Port Racing with never any problems:
I plan on going up to IO-Port to see if it'll give a good view with my camera hanging from the rear window

kpl

Post by kpl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:58 am

The mount worked great. Once it's stuck on it is definately not comming off until you want to remove it. I had originally wanted to mount it hanging off the back window, but the instructions said not to as the defroser wires are not embeded into the glass. I mounted it on the far right of the windshield instead. I ran the GGLC event at Marina last weekend and have 4 runs posted I've got 4 runs posted here. We got 15 runs, which helped a bunch in figuring out how to drive the new car. I still have old habits that I still need to consciously change, as they are not embeded in my brain yet.