The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

new porsche owner, looking for peninsula/san jose mechanc

Use this forum to ask questions or discuss GGR issues not covered in the competition forums

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

incomplete

new porsche owner, looking for peninsula/san jose mechanc

Post by incomplete » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:50 am

hey everyone!

i am the proud two-week old owner of a 1986 944 turbo (http://picasaweb.google.com/incomplete/Porsche944#), and i'm loving it. the car is pretty heavily modified (engine plumbing, turbo, suspension, brakes, chipped) but comes to me well maintained with $20k in repair history from the past nine years. i purchased it as a second vehicle and intend to track and autocross it as much as possible. i have a bunch of track-day/hpde experience, as well as a stint in the 24 hours of lemons a couple of years ago.

i will say that the 944 is a big upgrade from my previous (but seriously fun) track toy, my 1998 honda prelude. :)

as with all cars over 20 years old, there's a laundry list of things that i need to take care of before i start thinking of taking it out on the track, and some of these i can't do myself. the big ones that i'd like to get fixed asap are my axles (both sides are clicking pretty severely), engine mounts (both collapsed) and debugging some electrical/light problems (reverse lights, 3rd brake, one fog and a turn signal won't turn on -- the lights are good).

this means that i'm looking for a porsche mechanic who specializes in these old beauties. i've found a few around the bay area, but was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for anyone in particular. i'm not opposed to taking my car to a dealership, but i tend to enjoy building a relationship with a shop and that luxury is sometimes lost when dealing with a dealership.

thanks, and hopefully i'll be seeing some of you on the track early next year! :)

paluck

Re: new porsche owner, looking for peninsula/san jose mechanc

Post by paluck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 pm

congratulations.
The 944 is a great car. I'm biased of course.
I highly recommend Reitmeir's Werkstatt in Los Altos. Jeff's a PCA member and can be frequently found at the track. He and his wife track a 944 turbo and a 924 with an S2 engine I believe.
I mostly do my own work, but take it to him for anything engine related. And I live in the East Bay, so its worth the haul for me to take it to somebody from the club that I know I can trust
-Mike
1989 944 S2 #151

PAUL LARSON

Re: new porsche owner, looking for peninsula/san jose mechanc

Post by PAUL LARSON » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:10 pm

You can try German Auto Works in San Carlos.
They know what they are doing with a Porsche.
Paul