The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Thanks for the lesson Dad...

This is pretty open, and for off topic issues. If another forum strays too far off the path, it will be moved here

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

pmitalas

Thanks for the lesson Dad...

Post by pmitalas » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:49 pm

My dad was a mechanical engineer and a licensed auto mechanic. If you ever worked with him, you knew he stood by the credo "Safety Second". For example, he would test for live AC by licking his index and middle finger and touching the leads.

That said, he always put a giant oak block under our cars whenever he lifted them. And becasue I saw him do it since forever, I've done it as well. I suspect more out of ritual than common sense.

Well tonight I was getting under the car to soften the rear sway bars for the AX this weekend. It took me more time to fetch and place the jack stands then it was going to take to do the job. As I finished positioning the right rear jack stand, the car slowly sat down on it. I looked over at the jack and sure enough a puddle of hydraulic fluid was pooling around it.

Given the weight at each rear wheel is around 1300 lbs and the clearance is about 3", I could've been a lot thinner right now.

Thanks for the lesson Dad.

pmitalas

Re: Thanks for the lesson Dad...

Post by pmitalas » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:52 pm

I exagerated a little. The right rear is only 1100 lbs. cheers, Paul