The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Anti-sub belt mounting

Use this forum to ask questions, clarifications, and issues about current rules

Moderator: David Leong

turbo96

Anti-sub belt mounting

Post by turbo96 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:27 am

Existing rule reads:
Where the anti-submarine belt does not pass through the seat cushion (which is the recommended approach where seats have a pass-through provision) the anti-submarine belt may be a single belt anchored on the floor, centered in front of the seat, or may be a two-strap design that anchors at or near the front corners of the seat or passes under the driver and is anchored at or near the lap belt attachment points. The single forward sub-belt mount is preferred. Anti-submarine belts may be secured to the factory seat track mounting locations using Brey-Krause mounting hardware (P/N R9030) for cars with 450 or fewer mod points with stock seats.

First, the discussion of sub-belt mounting in front of the seat appears contrary to what I can find about current sub-belt systems from Schroth/Sparco. Are people really mounting in front of the seat?
Second, the rule is unclear about what happens if the anti-sub belt does pass through the seat cushion. Can it still be anchored at the lap belt attachment points? Is this in accord with current system instructions, as opposed to requiring separate attachment points to the sides of the seat?
Third, is the seat cushion hole location for the double anti-sub belt considered better than if the belt is on top of the seat so that the driver sits on it?

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 am

First, keep in mind that these guidelines will be obsolete very soon, and personally, I would follow a more modern set of instructions so you do not obsolete your installation.

I have not done enough study to know how to mount a pair of subs in a 6-pt installation. Also, each mfg is different depending on design. Some include a spreader, etc. I know GGR has talked about sitting on the 6pt belts, for a long time, but personally, I don't know where this recommendaiton came from, and since the other guidelines are going to be phased out, I would not consider this gospel either.

I recommend following the Schroth instructions, and you should be good to go.
David Leong

Don Melcher

Post by Don Melcher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:58 pm

David Leong wrote:First, keep in mind that these guidelines will be obsolete very soon, and personally, I would follow a more modern set of instructions so you do not obsolete your installation.

I recommend following the Schroth instructions, and you should be good to go.
Can you point me to where I can find these instructions?
Don Melcher
69 912 Tangerine Coupe #902
69 912 White Targa

It's not a car, it's an obsession! ;)

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:11 pm

http://www.schroth.com/installation-ins ... index.html

This is not a universal installation guide. Hopefully your mfg. also provides a specific guide for the harnesses you own.
David Leong

Don Melcher

Post by Don Melcher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Thanks - I wanted to get an idea of what was involved and for some reason was having trouble finding the proper link.
Don Melcher
69 912 Tangerine Coupe #902
69 912 White Targa

It's not a car, it's an obsession! ;)