The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Is Bolt in Roll Bar Legal for TT?

Use this forum to ask questions, clarifications, and issues about current rules

Moderator: David Leong

pmitalas

Is Bolt in Roll Bar Legal for TT?

Post by pmitalas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 pm

I am looking to install a roll bar made by GMG Racing. So far the specs suggest it will conform to PCA GGR rules with respect to thickness, manufacture, shape etc. The thing I am uncertain about is that it bolts into the standard seat belt locations. Are such bolt in roll bars allowed?
I understand the Porsche Tequipment roll bar does not confrom to PCA specs, and it coincidentaly bolts in to standard seat belt locations. Is it disqualified because the seat belt locations to not meet backing standards, or some other reason (too thin) or both.
Thanks, Paul

Dan Thompson

Re: Is Bolt in Roll Bar Legal for TT?

Post by Dan Thompson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:02 pm

any roll bar that bolts into the seat belt anchors is not currently legal for GGR TT rules.
Is your car modified in such a way that you require a roll bar by our rules?

it is currently not legal because it puts the mounting points in shear instead of compression or tension. when a mounting point is put into shear it is not as strong as a point in compression or tension.
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

pmitalas

Post by pmitalas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Dan,
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to me.
I am not sure how to answer your question "Is your car modified in any way that you require a roll bar by our rules"? I'll share my thinking on why I want to get a roll bar, so you can hopefully guide me down the most sensible course.

My car is a '04 GT3. I replaced the original seats with the Porsche GT3 seats, but I am still using the stock seatbelts. I found the GT3 seat to be a huge improvement in more firmly attaching me to the vehicle. I plan to run DE's this year and ultimatley (maybe next year) try TT's. That said, I am preparted to invest in anything that makes me safer and/or more comfortable in the vehicle. Not to enter the debate about which is safer, OEM 3 pt belts and airbag vs 6 pt harness, I do believe that the 6 pt harness would better secure me into the car. And I understood that a 6 pt harness needs to be part of a total safety "system", where again I interpret that a roll bar fits nicely into the equation. A roll bar does not seem to be a bad idea of it's own, so I thought it would be best to put one in that complies with GGR rules.

My car has no back seat, and I currently plan to keep this car until the end (of it or me) so the roll bar is going in and never coming out. I'm not hung up on getting a roll bar attached to seat belt anchors other than that way, I could install it myself. If welding is involved, or drilling precisely located holes, I'd have to have it installed at a shop. This is not prohibitive, just less convenient and less fun.

Thanks for the super fast response. I look forward to your advice. cheers, Paul

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm

try this for one of the cleanest and nicest GT3 roll bars I have seen.

http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jeff_gt3rollbar.html

Tony does excellent work on lots of different Porsches
As far as needing a roll bar. What experience do you have with track events and or Performance driving?

If you plan on doing DE this season, using your stock belts with a GT3 seat would be sufficient. The roll bar is suggested to be part of the total "system" but currently is not required.

But more safety equipment is always better. And if you plan on being "planted" in your new GT3 then investing in a nice custom roll bar would be great.
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

pmitalas

Post by pmitalas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks again Dan. Looks sweet. I'm going to check it out! cheers, Paul