The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Boxster stock wheel size error?

Use this forum to ask questions, clarifications, and issues about current rules

Moderator: David Leong

demick

Boxster stock wheel size error?

Post by demick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I just classified my '04 Boxster S, and was surprised that with the stock wheel size of 7" and 8.5" I was assessed 70 wheel points.

It appears that the base wheel size assumed here is 6" and 6". I believe this is an error. I don't think any Boxster has ever been delivered with those wheel sizes, much less a Boxster S.

7" and 8.5" is stock for an '00 to '04 Boxster S, with 7.5" and 9" being an option.

johntavernetti

Re: Boxster stock wheel size error?

Post by johntavernetti » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm

hi -

It's not an error. As part of the new classification system for 2010, all cars are assigned wheel points from a common baseline of 6" Front & 6" Rear (actually just any 12" total). The old table of "free" wheels widths no longer exists. This change was made in order to help level the playing field between models (i.e. so everybody pays the same points for their wheels). That is part of the reason so many models' initial basepoints declined this year -- because conceptually those baspoints only include the first 12" of wheel.

I would refer you to the 2010 rule proposals thread for a more detailed discussion of this, here:

http://comp.pca-ggr.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=647

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

John

demick

Post by demick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks, that clears it up. I had skimmed many topics in this forum and saw no mention of this. I would assume many people will be surprised to see significant wheel points for 'stock' wheels when they classify this year. Hopefully they will see this post and understand.

Grant K

Post by Grant K » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:07 pm

For some of us more modified car drivers who can use cantilever slicks on narrow 7 inch wheels this may be a nice little boost to us in PAX.
Grant
Ugly looking 1999 Boxster #915
AX0?

demick

Post by demick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Grant - I think your 175 point penalty for slicks will help to offset that...

Grant K

Post by Grant K » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

demick wrote:Grant - I think your 175 point penalty for slicks will help to offset that...
You think so? I classed identical car (Boxster) one with 7" rims and Canti's and one with 10 inch rims with similar width slicks. With 7"rim canti setup I would enjoy going back two classes to AX5 from AX3 with 10' wheels. Canti's are a well known "cheater" tire to get around narrow rim restrictions in SCCA production classes. They equal tires on wheels that are 2 to 3 inches wider. Canti's are really only tire where this is the case.

In a classing scheme that uses wheel width as a points calculator all the 914's and now Boxsters that use cantilever slicks enjoy a real point benefit with these setups. Essentially slick adder points are canceled out by gains from much more narrow wheels.

I think its worth considering if intent is to make classing fair to all. Again I have nothing to gain from this as I was planning to use my canti setup for TT. I'd be in TT7 in a race prepped topless 2100lb Boxster on race slicks! Yeah hoo!

If you look at results from last year cantilever clad cars tended to do very well in PAX. SOme of that are from drivers in those cars but I think equal amount is point advantage they hold using narrow wheels.

Not a big deal but certainly worth considering in points scheme next season. Likely not going to change this season so guess I'll try my canti setup and see how the car does from PAX perspective.
Grant
Ugly looking 1999 Boxster #915
AX0?