Proposal: AX senior citizen = optional work assignment

Use this forum to discuss rule proposals, other than the points proposal, which has its's own forum

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Ken Jones

Proposal: AX senior citizen = optional work assignment

Post by Ken Jones » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 pm

I would like to see GGR add an option for senior citizen members. I propose making the work assignment "optional" for PCA members who are 65 or older. Coincidentally, the SF region of SCCA also does this.

thanks,

kj
#44, '73 911 E Targa - AX10

Andrew Blyholder

Re: Proposal: AX senior citizen = optional work assignment

Post by Andrew Blyholder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I agree with the spirit of the proposal, but I think an age criteria is crude and discriminatory. Drivers of any age can have a physical disability that makes it difficult to fulfill a normal working assignment. Conversely, if you're over 65 and in great shape, why should you get an exemption simply based on age? That's reverse age discrimination. Alternatively, I'd propose a rule that states, "Drivers with a physical disability limiting their ability to fulfill a normal working assignment may request an work exemption or other accommodation from the Autocross Chair. The Autocross Chair shall make all reasonable accommodations to facilitate the participation of disabled drivers."

Andrew Blyholder

Ken Jones

Re: Proposal: AX senior citizen = optional work assignment

Post by Ken Jones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 am

Why are people 65 and older called senior citizen? why does social security start at a stated age? why do restaurants offer senior discounts? yadda yadda yadda..... are you feeling left out Andrew? Discriminated against? I'm suggesting that the decision be left up to the participant - who may be having good days and bad days, to decide how they feel - not an AX chair that says "you look fine to me!".

whatever
#44, '73 911 E Targa - AX10