Adopt current PCA club racing GT classes

Use this forum to discuss rule proposals, other than the points proposal, which has its's own forum

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Tom Weber

Adopt current PCA club racing GT classes

Post by Tom Weber » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Rather than keep the pre-2008 PCA GT classification, I propose that if you end up with too many points, you class your car via the PCA club racing GT classification scheme. (Write the rule so it refers to the current version of the PCA GT classification scheme.)

Rationale: PCA club racing scrapped the old classifications in favor of a new system in 2008. GGR stayed with the old system. I'd like to see us move to the updated system. For example, my car is GT-2R for GGR TT, but for PCA club racing, it's GT-3R.
Tom Weber
964 GTL/GT3 (Tom's Turtle, #54)

Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp)

Re: Adopt current PCA club racing GT classes

Post by Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp) » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Tom that part has always been part of the current rules ....
1993 RS America
Grand Prix White
Car #6

1974 911 Carrera (resides in Australia)
Light Yellow

1974 914-6 GT (resides in San Luis obispo)

1987 944 turbo (location unknown)

1979 911SC(Hummers have it)

1972 911T (location unknown)

Tom Weber

Post by Tom Weber » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Ok, I'm confused then. By PCA club race rules, my car is GT-3R (using the HP/weight calculation). Last year GGR listed me as GT-2R (using the old engine size rules) and the "car class calculator". I recall a post from Dave Leong or someone saying that GGR was not adopting the new PCA GT classification. Has this changed?
Tom Weber
964 GTL/GT3 (Tom's Turtle, #54)

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:51 pm

I don't recal what I posted, but here is how I think it works:

When we made the rules, we grabbed the GT chart as it existed in PCA Club Racing. It was static, and I don't recall any provision that says if PCA changes, GGR changes with it.

Therefore, the rules are static, and if people want to follow PCA, someone needs to make a proposal to incorporate any changes, regardless of whether they coincide with PCA, or are something totally different.

Personally, my idea was to mimic PRC, more than PCA, and in fact you can see that the existing rules were an abreiviated version of PCA, as it stood at the time of writing, and more closely aligned with PRC.

For the future, it is up to the members to keep, change, or whatever. I suppose the Comp Director could also issue a clarification, stating that it should be dynamic, and actually follow PCA. As PCA changes, so will GGR.
David Leong

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 pm

that would be the ideal scenario. As PCA club racing rules change, then GGRs club racing component for classing those cars should change as well.
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm

We didn't think so when we wrote that part of it, and pesonally, I still feel this way. We didn't want to be dependent upon something for which we had no control. We also did not want to refer to a document that was not part of GGR, which is why we included the chart, instead of referring people to Club Racing.

The members should look at each new proposal from Club Racing and adopt, modify, or reject as they see fit.
David Leong

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 pm

problem is now David, if we plan on having 3 or more club race events per season in the future, we will be constantly using the National Club Race rules.
Needing to pass a proposal to adopt these ever changing rules each year would be a waste of time and motion.

Hopefully club racing is here to stay as part of our events. If it is, then we need to be able to adopt to those regulations on an ongoing basis.
We would not be dependent on them for the rest of our series....just for the club racing portion.
And if we want to have an ongoing relationship with National on this we are going to need to be up to speed on these each year.
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:55 pm

I think the topic at hand is only for our TT rules. Of course those in the Club Race will use Club Race rules, but even there, the majority will be PRC racers, and those rules do not coincide 100%.

When the TT rules were written, there were no Club Races in N. CA. so they did not have a lot of relevence to GGR Time Trialers. At the same time, PRC was getting more and more popular amongst those types of cars in the Time Trials.

That was then. In 2009, we will have time Trialers who have cars built to Club Race Classes, Time Trialers who have cars built to PRC classes, misc groups, and those that are not built to any of these organizatrions, but are beyond the point system.

We have from now until proposal are solicited in mid year to consider how the members would like the system to work going forward, and make a proposal to reflect that desire.
David Leong

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:00 am

you are right we are lucky that we have the ability to run under several different banners in Norcal...

You might be surprised about the number of cars that show for our club races. I think there will be a good number of newer folks that have not run with PRC in the past...

we will see, it will be an interesting year...
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol