Concern about "Stock" cars

Use this forum to discuss the Points Proposal

Moderator: David Leong

Bill Dally

Concern about "Stock" cars

Post by Bill Dally » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:13 pm

I am concerned that the new points proposal is going to make completely "stock" cars very uncompetitive. Right now someone who doesn't want to go to the expense or trouble of modifying their Porsche (or perhaps someone who wants to preserve the car in its original state) can run against other unmodified Porsches in the "stock" classes.

If the points proposal is approved, these stock cars will get lumped in with cars that have had varying degrees of modification. Since the points associated with many modifications are fairly small, the stock cars will often be in the same class as the same model with several modifications (springs, sway bars, etc...) making them uncompetitive.

Its important that we preserve a competitive environment for people who do not want to modify their cars. Is there a way to do this within the current proposal?

If the goal is to have more competitors, why don't we just fold some of the existing classes together in one or both dimensions when they are too small -- (e.g., combine K and L or combine Ki and Kp until you get up to a reasonable number of cars in a class).

dtfastbear

Post by dtfastbear » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:17 pm

Hey Bill,

Are there specific cars classified in the online system that end up in the same class where you believe they are grossly uncompetitive with each other? Perhaps if you point those out we can discuss specific instances.

I believe that an older Carrera with some mods should be competitive with a stock 996, for instance. I'm not sure what, in general, you're worried about. Some stock cars are much more capable than other heavily modified car models. Would you disagree with that?

I'm actually quite pleased with the results this year in the points system. The competition within the classes is closer than in the current system, and the number of single and two car classes has been greatly reduced. I feel like the system is achieving our goals.

Combining the current classes just to achieve a greater number of cars (as the SCCA does with its "class bumping" structure) goes against one of the basic goals we had - that cars within a class be competitive. The level of modifications allowed between Ki and Kp are too great to combine, in my opinion.

The proposal is now submitted and complete, so any tweaks would be at the discretion of the DEC, not the ad-hoc committee. I believe David is going to publish all the proposals for 2006 soon.

Dean
Faster than the average bear...