C4S Wheel Width correction...

Use this forum to discuss the Points Proposal

Moderator: David Leong

itacud

C4S Wheel Width correction...

Post by itacud » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi, I suppose that this isn't really a points proposal, so much as a suggestion to correct the base wheel width, as indicated on the car model chart. The (2002-2004) 996 C4S is listed as having 8"/10" wheels, when in fact it shares it's body and wheel widths with the 996 Turbo, which has 8" front and 11" rear wheels. I assume this is part of the reason why a C4S is given a higher base-point rating than a C4, since it couldn't be the C4S's extra weight. =) In contrast, the 997 appears to have correct wheel widths listed for the S models, where the C2/C4 have 8"/10" widths, and the Turbo/C4S having 8"/11" widths. So the discrepancy with the 996, where the C4S is assigned the smaller (and unavailable) 10" rear, stands out a little more.

It's not a huge difference, but when entering the stock wheel sizes of 8"/11" into the classification tool, a point penalty is assessed automatically, presumably based on the difference between the incorrectly anticipated 10" rear and the actual 11" stock rear? This is just a suggestion to help improve the tools accuracy. =) I know it must be quite an ordeal to keep track of base specs on the incredible variety of models Porsche has produced!

Oh, as an aside, I presume I am correct in adding 5points for the stock base-model speed deployed rear spoiler? This seems intentional, and not a mistake, but I just wanted to clarify. I don't see the points consistently added across everyones' cars, so I thought I'd double check if I'm selecting this correctly. Thanks!

Dan Thompson

Re: C4S Wheel Width correction...

Post by Dan Thompson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:47 pm

yes, you take points for your spoiler and the wheel widths were done purposefully.
when it comes time, you may submit a change.
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

itacud

Post by itacud » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Got it... Thanks for the clarification! On the plus side, the big rear wheels did give me slightly more peace of mind near those walls at Sears Point! =)
--

itacud

Post by itacud » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi, I'd like to know if it is yet the right time to propose that this entry for the stock wheel width of a 996 Carrera 4S be corrected for 2009? It truly is a mistake, as the 996 4S is the only widebody water cooled porsche that is penalized with points for it's stock wheel size. Every other modern widebody 911 has the correct, 11" wide, rear wheel listed with it's base points. It is too significant a discrepancy that the 996 4S is the only such car that has it's rear wheel listed as 10" stock, when the 996 turbo, 997 turbo, 997 S, and 997 4S all are listed with correct 11" rear wheel widths. The lack of familiarity with 4S's, due to their relatively uncommon appearance in "competition", is understandable. For an extremely overweight Carrera 4S to remain competitive in it's class, those mis-applied 10 points need to be used for other things! =) I see that rules proposals for 2009 are listed in the September nugget, but this one hasn't been included. Is there a different venue through which it must be submitted? Thanks!
--