The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Tires for 1989 911 Carrera coupe

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

ace

Tires for 1989 911 Carrera coupe

Post by ace » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 am

Hi, Please advise on replacement tires for 1989 911 coupe with original factory fuch 15in rims. I have Pirelli 195/65VR/15 front and 215/60VR/15 rear. I like to stick with the 15in rims and I am looking for high performance all around all season mostly street driving (wary of pot holes and low profile tires) some rally and periodic AX and TT with great handling and comfort with good wear tires. Discount tires America has new Goodyear Eagle GT tires for $440 out of the door including installation. Do U have any experience with them and is that a good choice. What about the Hankook H418. Any other suggestions? My budget for tires is around $500. Also I am open to 16 or 17 or 18 in sizes. with( new rims budget of $1500.) Please advise on tire /rim combinations , quality and choices with good value. I would like to keep the Porsche as original as possible with minimum modification as possible . I do have all new Bilstein HD shocks and the car is in excellent condition with less than 60000 miles. Please kindly include exact Brands, Model, Prices and sources. Thanks so much for your prompt attention. I am in San Jose . Ace

RTOLIVER0125

Re: Tires for 1989 911 Carrera coupe

Post by RTOLIVER0125 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 am

Hi Ace,

I have a "Certificate of Authenticity" from Porsche Cars, that states the original tires for a 1989 911 Carrera Cabriolet were "Goodrich"

That's all it says. The correct size should be in your owners manual.

I will send you a copy of the "Certificate of Authenticity" if you send me your e-mail address.

Rodger

Ken Jones

Post by Ken Jones » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Out of curiosity.... weren't the original wheel sizes 16x6 and 16x8 for the '89? I can only comment that the TireRack.com has lots of information about ratings and comparisons - might be a good point of reference when trying to get the best bang for the buck.

good luck,

kj
#44, '73 911 E Targa - AX10

PAUL LARSON

Post by PAUL LARSON » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 pm

I would also recommend tirerack.com for the best prices. I
had tires ordered and shipped to work. I then took them
to a local shop to have them installed. I saved some coin.
Paul

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:51 pm

tirerack is great for ground work...lots of good information and specs

but most of the big tire shops, like Wheel Works and Americas Tires will match Tirerack's prices. I just bought a set of tires for the C2 and got them at Wheel Works. Exact price from Tirerack and I didn't have to have them drop shipped. :lol:
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

ace

Post by ace » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Folks, Thanks so much for the input . As mentioned before the rim size is 15in.That is what came with the car .I am not the original owner. I looked locally at Tires America and they have Falken Ziex ZE-512 for sale at $66 front and $74 rear.with additional $50 rebate They claimed that it was a consumer guide top favorite but most reviews say the tires wear out real fast. and they are H speed rated and not V like my Pirelli P6. Any comments or experience with the offerings? I called the Tire rack people and they do not have much selection either except for Pirelli 6000 a much more expensive tire and not that great reviews .Tire rack has only one Sport Edition Cup3 17in rims choice when I inquired on other rim/tires combination. Is my 1989 vehicle such a dinosaur? Is it not supposed to be a vintage year model? What do u folks throw on your vehicles of approximate age and model? What are the popular rim/tire combinations and brand and models, prices and sources out there? I will need to make a decision pretty quick. Thanks again for your advice. Ace

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:38 pm

I don't know about '89s, but for other Carreras, the 15's were stock, but rare in the US, (it was considerd a comfort size) as most owners opted for the optional 16X6 and 16X7. In '89, the rears increased to 8 inches I think, but the 16" package still may have been an option.

Whenever we had a school, or some other gathering, at some point someone would say early cars over there, and later cars here. At some point, I stayed "here" and someone said you go over there with those old cars. (this was my 87 Carerra). Been going over there ever since.
David Leong