What will be the HOT street tire for AX next season?

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Dan Thompson

What will be the HOT street tire for AX next season?

Post by Dan Thompson » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Bridgestone R11
Yoko AD08
Dunlop Star Specs
other?

what have you heard, read, seen, experienced.........come on now, give the scoop :lol:

trying to decide if I want to stay on a special set of streets or go to lower level DOT Rs like Nitto NT01 or Victoracers, or R888s
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

PAUL LARSON

Re: What will be the HOT street tire for AX next season?

Post by PAUL LARSON » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 am

I have heard that the R888s hold up better to all the heat cycles. I
do not AX so maybe there is a better choice.
I would use the R888s for TT if I went that direction. My problem
is that they do not make a 305/30/19.
Paul

Springgeyser

Post by Springgeyser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Well, I bought a set of Dunlop Star Spec but AX season is over, so haven't had a chance to push the limits.

At full thread, they 'feel' better than my PS2s on the street driving with much less tire width. A big plus is that they are inexpensive.

Nitto is releasing a sticky street tire also NT05.
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6

Pete von Behrens

Post by Pete von Behrens » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:57 am

Dan Thompson wrote:Bridgestone R11
Yoko AD08
Dunlop Star Specs
other?

what have you heard, read, seen, experienced.........come on now, give the scoop :lol:

trying to decide if I want to stay on a special set of streets or go to lower level DOT Rs like Nitto NT01 or Victoracers, or R888s
You've seen this?
http://www.hfortysixit.com/2008/06/18/s ... eova-ad07/

My bet given the reports and times I've seen is that the RE11 might have a slight advantage over the dunlops from cold. I'd put my money on the AD08s being fastest overall, but also needing a little warming up (liking the most heat). I've seen a few things suggesting the AD08 will have ~3/4 of a second on the AD07 over a ~1 minute long course. I'm also betting that the AD08 will be faster than an RA1. Street tire tech has moved on in the last couple years while the fastest R comps have stayed the same. From a PAX point of view I think the advantage has shifted to street tires.

Ken Jones

Post by Ken Jones » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:09 pm

~ 3/4 seconds faster for a new AD08 vs. AD07? That's impressive. Where's the new AD08 retailing?.... didn't notice at TireRack.

One comment however: one of the reasons I stayed with sticky tires last year was to optimize the spread for PAX.

I did a same day, same car test last year at Alameda with the Boxster - AM with Hoosiers and PM with Bridgestone RE-01Rs. My unscientific results came up with a spread of at least 3 seconds advantage for the Hoosiers. If I recall, it was a pretty 'active' course that taxed the street tires. If a person moves from an AD07 or equivalent to a sticky tire, it costs 75 pts and depending on where one starts, maybe 2 classes. The PAX for two classes is ~ 1 sec. spread. The old gold standard for AX used to be the Victoracer - when it was said could produce a probable 2 second spread over streets at the time. The V710s increased that spread significantly. When the newer street tires started coming out, I really, really liked the AD07s and could occassionally (depending on course layout) get pretty close to the sticky tire guys. But, since I've done some comparisons with my car, I've settled back to thinking that spread is more than I figured previously.

With much respect for your experience, what is your rationale for thinking the newer streets are reducing the spread enough to overcome the (relatively small) points hit for the stickies?

Thanks,

kj
#44, '73 911 E Targa - AX10

Pete von Behrens

Post by Pete von Behrens » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Ken Jones wrote:~ 3/4 seconds faster for a new AD08 vs. AD07? That's impressive. Where's the new AD08 retailing?.... didn't notice at TireRack.
Not out yet. Q2 is the current word, though some guys have tested on them in the US already. The RE-11 might come a little sooner.
Ken Jones wrote: With much respect for your experience, what is your rationale for thinking the newer streets are reducing the spread enough to overcome the (relatively small) points hit for the stickies?
You make a valid point- I should have specified that I think the advantage has shifted to street tires vs the specific R compounds he's considering. The NT01 and R888 are probably better TT tires than AX, and the Victoracer is older tech, so I don't think they have a big advantage on an autocross over an AD08 assuming that tests as everyone is saying. On the other hand I think a hoosier A6 will still have a clear couple seconds over an AD08, and I agree with you that's totally worth it. So AD08 > R888, but AD08 < A6 or V710 as far as PAX goes in my mind. I'm thinking he doesn't want to spend that kind of money on tires, though?

For a time reference, the word is bridgestone developed the RE-11 with the RA1 as their benchmark target, and reading between the lines it sounds like they hit it. That makes me think the RE-11 is roughly as fast as an RA1, and the R888 might not be any faster than an RA1 at an autocross as it warms up slower? Given that the AD08 sounds slightly faster than the RE-11 I'm jumping to the conclusion that the AD08 is in the same ballpark as the R888. No more proof than that, though...

ChrisZang

Post by ChrisZang » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the Falken Azenis RT-615?
San Carlos, CA
2002 Boxster S, seal grey
B&M Short Shifter, Boomerang, clear bra, gutted exhaust
Owned: 2 years
Miles: 48k
Autocrosses: 18 / Track days: 9
Tires Gone Through: 11
major parts replaced so far: RMS, clutch, MAF

Pete von Behrens

Post by Pete von Behrens » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 pm

ChrisZang wrote:Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the Falken Azenis RT-615?
I think Dan probably hit the fast three "street tires" for the new season, though the new Kumho XS might be in there too. The Azenis was quick, but it's usually talked about as roughly equal, depending on the test, to the last gen of tires like the Bridgestone RE-01R. The newer generation like the RE11 seems to be a solid half to 3/4 second faster over a minute course.

MagnusB

Post by MagnusB » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:35 am

RE11 is my guess.
I have friends over in Japan who have been running these for over a year.
They're good!
2007 997 S, Carrara White

Springgeyser

Post by Springgeyser » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Of the 3 Dan listed. Star Specs are a fraction of the price. Too bad sizing option is limited in 17" and 18".
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:38 pm

the Dunlops come in the sizes I need....
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

Grant K

Post by Grant K » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Bridgestone R11 looks like a winner
Grant
Ugly looking 1999 Boxster #915
AX0?