The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Brake Pads for those on Hoosier/Kumhos Rcomps

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Springgeyser

Brake Pads for those on Hoosier/Kumhos Rcomps

Post by Springgeyser » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am

What tires & brake pads do you guys use for AX? Kumho/Hoosier tires with Stock pads or aftermarket track oriented PFC01/Pagid yellow etc.

I am just wondering if I run stock pads with my BFG R1 would result in better braking than my current PFC 97 (soon to be PFC01) pads.

TY.
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6

Ken Jones

Re: Brake Pads for those on Hoosier/Kumhos Rcomps

Post by Ken Jones » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 pm

AX for me = Hoosier with stock pads

kj
#44, '73 911 E Targa - AX10

Dan Thompson

Post by Dan Thompson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 pm

yep, for AX stock pads seem to work as good or better than any of the zoomy track stuff....

the track pads tend to not heat up to give optimal stopping power as quickly at AX. Kind of like some of the decent tires for track duty aren't that great for AX because they don't get heat in them quick enough. :)
Dan Thompson
GGR DE/TT/CR Racecontrol

Grant K

Post by Grant K » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm

On the Boxster I use Hawk Blues, they have nice grip, good feel, even when cold. I run BFG R1 as dual use AX/Track tires. BFG R1's worked OK at Marina eariler this year. I think a good street/AX pad is fine. I use EBC Red Stuff on my Mazdaspeed 6 and like those pads for Street/AX use.

Ultimate AX tire of course is Hoosier A6. Nothing else comes close in DOT R world. Kuhmo 710 is next best. BFG R1 is a track tire that does OK in AX but it really isnt a 710 or A6 competitor, It is however a awesome track tire!
Grant
Ugly looking 1999 Boxster #915
AX0?

Springgeyser

Post by Springgeyser » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Great guys. Now I have to find some front stock pads.
Dan Thompson wrote:yep, for AX stock pads seem to work as good or better than any of the zoomy track stuff....

the track pads tend to not heat up to give optimal stopping power as quickly at AX. Kind of like some of the decent tires for track duty aren't that great for AX because they don't get heat in them quick enough. :)
BFG r1 are dual use like my R888 last year. Plus it is always nice to post up fast times with decent track tires, against others on dedicated Hoosiers/Kumhos. :P

Grant- Thk. Glad to hear they are good track tires, itching to get out onto the track once the car is dialed in with a few AX events. I used EBC yellow on my past cars, they worked well but the PFC have a better bite. For track, I will be swapping in PFC01 which I know probably will not work for AX hence the reason for the post.

It'll be a year or two before I even consider moving to stickier AX tires, the nut behind the wheel needs tuning. A6 or v710 would only mask any driving mistakes at this point even though the times might be faster than the BFG r1. Baby steps...
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6