The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Cracked brake pads?

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

racegirl

Cracked brake pads?

Post by racegirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 pm

After two autocross events and one track day, today I swapped the race pads out and put the Porsche OEM pads by Textor back. My race pads are Pagid Yellow in front and Pagid Black in rear. My street pads are Porsche OEM pads by Textor.

I noticed weird pattern at the surface of the Yellow pads (not on Black pads). I am attaching three pictures to illustrate.
1) Textor_PagidYellow.jpg: top row is Textor and bottom row is Pagid Yellow. The Textors look normal.
2) Yellow front_left.jpg: close up of the pad for the left wheel
3) Yellow_front_right.jpg: close up of the pad for the right wheel

Anybody's seen things like this before? The pattern looks like surface crack line that doesn't go too deep. There are also little chips along with the surface crack lines. I am not sure if I want to put them back for my next track/AX event...
resized_right.jpg
Right pad with crack lines
resized_right.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
resized_left.jpg
Left pad with chips and crack lines
resized_left.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
resized_both.jpg
Top: Textor street; bottom: Pagid Yellow race
resized_both.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
2002 Boxster S AX11&TT11
a quiet little sheep among heavily modified race cars

Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp)

Re: Cracked brake pads?

Post by Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp) » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 am

They do look overheated Tristan ....

I would suggest that you let the brakes cool off on your last lap and drive slowly around the pits for a few minutes after you come off the track .. dont just park the car ,, What happens if you do that is they Heat soak as the car sits which cause the pad material to crack ..
1993 RS America
Grand Prix White
Car #6

1974 911 Carrera (resides in Australia)
Light Yellow

1974 914-6 GT (resides in San Luis obispo)

1987 944 turbo (location unknown)

1979 911SC(Hummers have it)

1972 911T (location unknown)

Andrew Forrest
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Forrest » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Trista -

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. From the PAGID USA website: http://www.braketechnology.com/techinfo.html#heatcracks.

Incidentally, PAGID and Textar are both made by the TMD Friction Group (as is Mintex).

I'm curious to know how you ended up with yellows on the front and blacks on the back given that the blacks have a higher coefficient of friction and I would normally expect the arrangement to be the other way around. Is that your secret weapon to overcome an overly conservative brake bias on the Boxster?
Andrew Forrest
2009-2017 GGR PCA Club Race Registrar GGRRaceReg@gmail.com
2015 GGR Vice President GGRVicePresident@gmail.com
2010-2014 GGR Webmaster webmaster@pca-ggr.org
Past GGR Driver's Ed/Time Trial Chair (2006 - 2008)

racegirl

Post by racegirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks Larry and Andrew. The lines are hair-deep and the pads are still very thick (two pictures attached for reference). I will run them and check their condition after track events.

To Andrew, my secret pad setup is yet to be tested in August TT ;-) Conservativeness was exactly how I felt on the Textar pads in March DE (you sat on my car then) hence the Pagid swap. Got Yellow in front hoping they will tackle heavier braking in front without cracking (although still do a little).

Who knows brake pads need more care (Zip-Lock bag in between races) than designer handbags :shock:
Attachments
RDA_2489.jpg
RDA_2489.jpg (177.28 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
RDA_2488.jpg
RDA_2488.jpg (159.11 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
2002 Boxster S AX11&TT11
a quiet little sheep among heavily modified race cars

Springgeyser

Post by Springgeyser » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:33 pm

997 brake cooling ducts? $30 set and it ran much cooler than the OE 996 cooling ducts. I don't remember the temp delta when I compared them both at TH last year.
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6