The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

akirasan

Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by akirasan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Totally noob type question: Got the bug after the recent school so now I'm looking to get a set of wheels just for xcross days. I've heard differing schools of thought on wheel sizes, e.g. stick with the 19" (8.5/11) or drop to 18" w/same widths. With Tire Rack as my friend, I'd been thinking about the Hankook Ventus and the Sport Edition Cup 4 - ~1700 all in. The car is a daily driver with bone stock suspension and will likely remain that way for some time.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit ... what a ride!"

Roger Haskin

Re: Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by Roger Haskin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Since you're talking about 19" wheels as a possibility, I'm assuming you're looking at Ventus V12's, not Z214's (not available in 19"). V12's, at UTQG 280, are not even that sticky a street tire. Why bother with dedicated wheels for tires in that performance class? There are plenty of DOT R-Comp alternatives that you could still drive to the events: Pilot Sport Cups or Toyo RA-1's for example. If you live close in, you might even consider Kumho V710s.
Roger Haskin

akirasan

Re: Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by akirasan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks Roger. Mostly looking for a cost-effective way to start - the whole package is less than a set of cups and will let me get used to the whole scene - but that may be flawed thinking on my part, e.g. replacement period with combo of street and 3-4 xcross/DE a year vs. dedicated wheel/tire. My thinking is that I'm the limiting factor at this point and this gives me seat time while still putting my daughter through school :wink:
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit ... what a ride!"