Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

akirasan

Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by akirasan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Totally noob type question: Got the bug after the recent school so now I'm looking to get a set of wheels just for xcross days. I've heard differing schools of thought on wheel sizes, e.g. stick with the 19" (8.5/11) or drop to 18" w/same widths. With Tire Rack as my friend, I'd been thinking about the Hankook Ventus and the Sport Edition Cup 4 - ~1700 all in. The car is a daily driver with bone stock suspension and will likely remain that way for some time.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit ... what a ride!"

Roger Haskin

Re: Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by Roger Haskin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Since you're talking about 19" wheels as a possibility, I'm assuming you're looking at Ventus V12's, not Z214's (not available in 19"). V12's, at UTQG 280, are not even that sticky a street tire. Why bother with dedicated wheels for tires in that performance class? There are plenty of DOT R-Comp alternatives that you could still drive to the events: Pilot Sport Cups or Toyo RA-1's for example. If you live close in, you might even consider Kumho V710s.
Roger Haskin

akirasan

Re: Dedicated xcross wheels for '06 997 C4S

Post by akirasan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks Roger. Mostly looking for a cost-effective way to start - the whole package is less than a set of cups and will let me get used to the whole scene - but that may be flawed thinking on my part, e.g. replacement period with combo of street and 3-4 xcross/DE a year vs. dedicated wheel/tire. My thinking is that I'm the limiting factor at this point and this gives me seat time while still putting my daughter through school :wink:
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit ... what a ride!"