The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

996 Fuel Pressure

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Jim McClelland

996 Fuel Pressure

Post by Jim McClelland » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 pm

If anyone experiences a complete drop in fuel pressure (which may make you believe that your fuel pump has failed), here is some information to consider.

1. The fuel pump is in the gas tank.
2. The fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are also in the gas tank. No, I'm not kidding.
3. Access to these items is under the battery. (This is actually OK, since the tank neither has to be removed or drained.) Once the battery and battery tray are removed, removal of the filter/fuel pressure regulator/gas guage sending unit (yes, all one contraption) is fairly straightforward. There are wires and gas lines connected from the filter/regulator unit to the pump below, so you have to slowly pull the unit out, similar to how Pepper Potts removed the arc reactor out of Tony Stark's chest. Otherwise, you might tweak the sender float arm.
4. Removal of the pump is via a counterclockwise twist out of its bayonet type lock ring.
5. You can test the pump easily enough. We placed it in a 2 lb. coffee can with an inch of gas, and the can in a shallow rectangular wash tub, and clipped 12v directly to the pump. Keep the fuel lines on the pump tucked into the can, unless you like mopping your garage floor for general principle.
6. You can then test the filter/regulator unit, connected to the pump. Lay the unit in the wash tub to keep the gas contained.

With 146,000 miles on my 2002 996, its fuel pressure regulator somehow froze closed. The fuel filter, removed from its housing for inspection, looked like a pleated piece of coal, with accompanying black soot in the bottom of the housing. (I'm blaming it on Cameron's Turn 9 off at Buttonwillow three years ago.)

A new filter/regulator unit restored proper fuel flow.

If you actually need a new pump, be sure to look at how the power and ground wires on the new pump are positioned in their connector vs. the old pump. Our new pump had those wires backwards, which caused about an hour's worth of additional head scratching.

I believe this may also apply to Boxsters.

That is all.
2002 996