The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Which airpump to buy

Use this forum to discuss car maintenance, building track cars, and modifications

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

zerophive

Which airpump to buy

Post by zerophive » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an air compressor for autocross events. I do not feel like breaking out the Porsche emergency air compressor on a regular basis and want something that has better capacity but is also durable and reliable. Bringing an air tank is not a viable option for me, as I do not have a compressor and am not looking to get one at this time exclusively for this purpose.

I looked at a some HarborFreight model online, but they seem to have poor reviews, break down often, are not strong enough. So I have looked into a VIAIR, Slime and Q Industries on Amazon, they all look good, but really nothing stands out. So, does anyone have a recommendation? Or any advise that can help guide me to a decision?

Many thanks!
-Arthur

Andrew Forrest
Site Admin

Re: Which airpump to buy

Post by Andrew Forrest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:26 am

Arthur, consider using a hand operated bicycle floor pump if you're contemplating only changing pressure by a pound or two -- they are reliable and there is no issue with routing a power cord to your cigarette lighter/accessory outlet.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pump
Andrew Forrest
2009-2017 GGR PCA Club Race Registrar GGRRaceReg@gmail.com
2015 GGR Vice President GGRVicePresident@gmail.com
2010-2014 GGR Webmaster webmaster@pca-ggr.org
Past GGR Driver's Ed/Time Trial Chair (2006 - 2008)

zerophive

Post by zerophive » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks!!

I ended up at a Sears near my work and they had a unit similar to the Slime, Craftsman .60 SCFM @ 30 PSI pump. It was the one that seemed good for what I was looking for and will work across all of my cars and motorcycle.

Will be trying it this weekend at AX, will let you know how it works out.

-Arthur

David Leong

Post by David Leong » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 pm

David Leong

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 pm

We also have a 110v air compressor we keep in the timing trailer. Anyone who wants to use it just needs to ask.