What are you working on at Buttonwillow?

Use this forum to dicuss driving techniques, how to approach certain turns, etc.

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

dtfastbear

What are you working on at Buttonwillow?

Post by dtfastbear » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:13 pm

I'll see if I can get this forum going with a question...

What driving techniques or issues are you focusing on at Buttonwillow in a couple weeks? I've found it is always helpful to have a plan ahead of time.

Personally, I'm going to work on my corner entry speed and consistency at Sunrise and Sunset, two of my worst corners at any track. Also, I want to work on exit speed at the Buttonhook.

What about you?

Dean
Faster than the average bear...

Tom Weber

Post by Tom Weber » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Running over Miata's? Or was that pointing them by? ;)

Entry speed here too. Some guy named Dean and another guy named Hank have been telling me I REALLY need to brake less. I'm old and stubborn and don't learn quickly, so I'll be practicing that for my next few events. My two worst are probably Sunset and Lost Hill. (I wish there were turn numbers insteady of the names for the turns at Buttonwillow.)

I didn't see any notification of what configuration and direction. Will we be doing configuration #1 clockwise?
Tom Weber
964 GTL/GT3 (Tom's Turtle, #54)

jrdavid68

Post by jrdavid68 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:23 am

I'll be working on every turn - haven't run in the CW direction yet - so it will be like a new track to me!
Ross Johnson
'86 Iris Blue 911

dtfastbear

Post by dtfastbear » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:42 am

Hey Ross,

Definitely get someone to ride with you for a session or two (or more). Buttonwillow, as you know from driving the other direction, is quite featureless and flat, so learning a new track confgiuration there is partitularly difficult.

Also, since so many turns are connected, many have to be compromised in entry or exit to turn fast laps. Get some local knowledge rather than trying to figure it all out on your own. That'll make a big difference.

Are you driving tomorrow, too?

Cheers,

Dean

jrdavid68

Post by jrdavid68 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:20 pm

Hey Dean,

Nope, not tomorrow. Really wanted to, but Paulette is in WA today working and gets home late. I figured it would be pushing it too much to try and get there in time for tomorrow. Probably not a good idea to be too tired while on the track!

Yes on the instructors. We both requested instructors, but it sounds like Harold won't be able to hook us up until the afternoon.

Are you going?
Ross Johnson
'86 Iris Blue 911

dtfastbear

Post by dtfastbear » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 pm

Not only am I going, but I'm assigned to Paulette as an instructor for the first morning session. Would love to take a ride with you at some point, too!

Cheers,

Dean

jrdavid68

Post by jrdavid68 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:58 pm

That's great!

She will be most pleased to hear that. We both were getting a little anxious thinking about going out the first time in this direction without instruction.

Maybe Harold worked some magic and has an instructor for me too for at least the first session.

You are welcome to ride along any time!
Ross Johnson
'86 Iris Blue 911