Sticky tires mask bad driving?

Use this forum to dicuss driving techniques, how to approach certain turns, etc.

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

kermit

Sticky tires mask bad driving?

Post by kermit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 pm

After driving on R-compound tires for a couple years, I've been driving on street tires recently. I've noticed that I have not been managing my slip angles very well (autocrossing once or twice a year doesn't help either :oops: ). With street tires, you feel and hear it when the tires struggle. With stickies, it so silent and forgiving, do you think it actually masks bad driving?

Have at it...
Howard Yao
1984 944
Car Number: 25
Class: AX15

David Leong

Re: Sticky tires mask bad driving?

Post by David Leong » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:24 am

They may be quieter, and the limits are higher, but that does not equate to more forgiving. In fact the opposite is often true. That is why most people need some experience on streets before switching to R or race tires.

I think the only way they are going to mask bad driving is if you never hit the limits, and credit yourself with an improvement because you are comparing your times to street tires.

It is not difficult to hit the limits of any tire. What is difficult, is going even faster, after you have hit those limits by taking better lines, and balancing the car. Always ask yourself after every run, if the push or loose could be improved by a better line, opening the steering, judicious use of the brakes and throttle, etc.

In my experience, the main contributor to masking bad driving, is rationalizing a poor performance. Compare your times to a good driver, or a faster driver, but be realistic, and don't open the excuse bag. "He has stiffer springs", "mid-engined", "10 more HP", "hot tires", etc.

When I was on street tires, I always checked to see which cars on R tires I could beat, but again, be realistic, and look for equal or better cars and drivers, not just some ego stroking.
David Leong

Springgeyser

Re: Sticky tires mask bad driving?

Post by Springgeyser » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I transitioned from street tires(PS2) to better 100 threadwear rated R comp this year to allow me to explore the higher mechanical limits. This was after I was comfortable keeping the street tires at its limits throughout the run and having times close to a more experienced driver driving my car. I actually think the stickier tires penalize me much more for driving errors causing the car push or gets really loose.

The audible noise from a street tire(assuming optimal tire pressure) was nice in letting me know it was at the limits but I actual prefer the butt dyno and steering feedback to tell me if I am driving at the limit.
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6