The GGR forum has reached it's end, but posts are still available read-only for posterity. We invite you to make posts and discussions on the GGR Facebook page.

Tire debate

Use this forum to dicuss driving techniques, how to approach certain turns, etc.

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Springgeyser

Tire debate

Post by Springgeyser » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Looking for some input on tire choice for next season.

-911 996 (90% track/10% street)
-JIC suspension with a planned agressive track alignment.
-Currently running Toyo r888 255/295 and sometimes 275/295. The rears need to be replaced soon.

Tire choice, has to be versatile for AX and DEs. That limits my choices to these below.

-BFG R1 265/285
Pro- lightweight and probably last longer than A6 and v710s, verstaile for DE and AX. Faster than R888s.
Con- Probably slower than the v710 and a6. Have to swap wheels at the track. Limited tire sizes available.

-Toyo R888 (275/315 or 265/315)
Pro- Can drive to the event. Great grip for DEs and versatile. Last a long time.
Con- HEAVY at 26#f/30#r. Not really a AX tire at all but still somewhat competitive.

I am not interested in dedicated HoHo a6 right now since I still feel I can learn from a 'harder' rubber. v710 will suposed wear out from negative camber greater than -2.

Which of the above to choice would each of you choose and why? I am now leaneing toward the BFG R1s.
Peter Lim

996 C4. AX6