Feeling "Pushy"

Use this forum to dicuss driving techniques, how to approach certain turns, etc.

Moderators: David Leong, Andrew Forrest

Ken Mack

Post by Ken Mack » Fri May 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Well now that we have high jacked this site..... I meant to ask you why SVR did not have a autocross at this years CRAB?
Ken...
PCA member since 1970 (SPAF) Silver Porsches are FASTEST

Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp)

Post by Zone7Rep(Larry Sharp) » Fri May 11, 2007 3:05 pm

they only have one usable site right now at Stockton Fairgrounds, and it wasnt available for the date of crab .. You got to love how Dan and I always highjack a blog thread
1993 RS America
Grand Prix White
Car #6

1974 911 Carrera (resides in Australia)
Light Yellow

1974 914-6 GT (resides in San Luis obispo)

1987 944 turbo (location unknown)

1979 911SC(Hummers have it)

1972 911T (location unknown)

Grant K

Post by Grant K » Sat May 12, 2007 11:07 am

Ken , I have always been amazed at how quickly you have been able to get your Boxster around an AX course. When I drove my stock 2.7 with stock alignment I had to deal with the infamous Boxster push all the time. There are just some course setups that make the car feel more like a snow sled than a Porsche. I'm afraid to admit what I did to get around that push in terms of driving technique as it would be considered Porsche abuse. :twisted:

Something I'm wondering is if you could find stock size wheels with offset that give you more front track width and still allow for fender clearence? Probably not given your tire size? Just trying to think of things that might not be as traditional. I know with my 914 I have huge spacers in front to get my track wider and it has resulted in much better turn in - and I run skinny little 225's in front with 265's in back. Of course I have a lot more neg camber than a stock boxster and can play with my spring rates as I'm not running stock SCCA class. There's always the approach of going with custom valved shocks that make rear end outrageously stiff.
Grant
Ugly looking 1999 Boxster #915
AX0?

Ken Jones

Post by Ken Jones » Sun May 13, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Grant,

Thanks... I think this thread might be easy to interpret that I don't like the car. This thread got started about a year ago with some questions about technique after I threw on a heavy front bar, but the car is now very different and not at all stock.

I've incorporated some of your suggestions already with aftermarket 18" wheels with offsets that push the tires out to the fender lips - so the fronts anyway are about what the newer Boxsters have as far as track. Also, camber is now -2.3 and -2.5 front/rear. Shocks are a few clicks from soft in front and a few clicks from firm in the rear with larger aftermarket bars. It would put this car in what used to be the 'production' category with aftermarket swap outs, but today's system plants it just into AX5.

I hemmed and hawed and vacillated on making changes for a long time, but I'm very happy with the car, it's the driver that's never satisfied - I think all of us feel we leave some time on the table at the end of the day.

See you out there,

kj